29 July 2012

Round Up: And it all begins...

Whoo! Who's been caught by the Olympic Fever? (who hasn't?) I caught it full on watching our incredible (and crazy) Opening ceremony. Those rings! The Queen and Bond! Rowen Atkinson! And of course, the beautiful caldron.
I have just been watching the women's synchronized diving: incredible. Why oh why did I never learn to dive? Mind you -six years of gymnastics with a difficulty with jumping backwards suggests that diving is perhaps not my sport. Then of course there's the sailing: I've been tuning in and out because as far as I am aware the finals don't start until around the 10th of August, but I'm pleased to report that Ben Ainslie has so far got two second places, and everything else in Weymouth is looking promising.
Watching the volleyball has been inspiring too -I feel ready to join a club now! Of course, the real appeal of it is that gorgeous Australian beach-side ideal, but I'm sure I can manage...

Generally though, the last couple of days have been pretty quiet. I've had fun making healthy, yummy meals for myself, although I've fallen badly at the hurdle(s) of snacking.
For yesterday's lunch I made a Moroccan-style houmous, falafel and mango chutney wrap:
Its super quick and easy to make (although feel free to go all-out and make your own falafel, houmous and chutney if you want). Simply spread on some houmous -I used a peppery, Moroccan-spiced one- onto your tortilla, crumble on some falafel, chop up some gem lettuce and dollop a teaspoon or two of chutney. Wrap and eat! The falafel tastes even nicer heated up.

Later, I took my Grandma's dog out for a walk around one of our postcard villages. When we stopped for our customary up of tea at King John's hunting Lodge, my Grandma and I tried a 'lumb'. I'm not sure exactly how to describe it -it's exclusive to King John's -but it sits somewhere between a muffin and a scone, with possibly a hint of crumpet about it...
It is called a Lumb after the old Scottish word for chimney due to it's height. It is cut into three and then toasted with cinnamon sugar, which caramelizes into foodie heaven... I only wish I could get my hands on that recipe...

As we left the tearooms, we were met by a wedding party leaving the church. My eye was caught by a stunning dress, and I shamelessly chased down it's wearer and got a picture ;)
It is available from the fabulous Vivienne of Holloway http://www.vivienofholloway.com/?gclid=COrDiMm3v7ECFUVTfAod60kAzA



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...